Liposuction also called lipoplasty or suction lipectomy is the surgical removal of localized or regional excess fatty tissue.
A fit and well proportioned body is often consider a symbol of health and vitality. But despite good health and a reasonable level of fitness, some individuals may still have a body with disproportionate contours due to localized fat deposits. These areas may be due to heredity or family traits rather than a lack of weight control or fitness. We offer Liposuction in our Pittsburgh offices.
Three common variations to the Liposuction procedure:
- Traditional liposuction, simply defined as surgical suctioning of excess fat deposits
- The tumescent or super-wet technique that requires an infusion of saline solution, with added adrenaline and possibly anesthetic prior to removal of excess fat
- Ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty or UAL, where ultrasonic energy is used to liquefy excess fat prior to surgical suctioning
Liposuction surgery sculpts the body, eliminating unwanted pockets of exercise-and diet-resistant fat from the buttocks, hips, love handles, saddlebags, thighs, calves, ankles, breasts (including male breasts), back, arms and neck. Liposuction is often combined with other procedures to create a desired bodily shape and is one of the safest and most popular cosmetic procedures offered today.
When to Consider Liposuction:
- If you have localized areas of fat deposits that are disproportionate to the rest of your body.
- If you would like more definition or a sleeker contour in certain areas of your body.
- If you have localized areas of fat deposits that do not go away with proper diet and exericse.
What are the advantages of Liposuction:
More and more people are turning to liposuction to help achieve their aesthetic goals. Patients benefit both mentally and physically from liposuction. In fact, Liposuction has become one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures in the world because it is a safe and effective way to remove fat. However Liposuction is not an effective treatment for cellulite – the dimpled skin that typically appears on the thighs, hips, and buttocks – or loose saggy skin. Contact our Pittsburgh plastic surgeon for alternative treatments.
The Benefits of liposuction include:
- Safe removal of fat
- Sculpting areas of body that even exercise and diet don’t seem to impact
- Improved health, usually associated with fat loss
- Changing the way you look, and the way others perceive you
- Boost in self-esteem
Liposuction may also be used to treat certain medical conditions, including:
- Abnormal enlargement of the male breasts (gynecomastia or pseudogynecomastia).
- Problems with metabolism of fat in the body (lipodystrophy).
- Excessive sweating in the armpit area (axillary hyperhidrosis).
Liposuction is usually performed as an outpatient procedure in a properly equipped doctor’s office, ambulatory surgery center, or hospital. In general, it does not require an overnight hospital stay unless a large volume of fat is being removed. If a large area or volume of fat is being removed, general anesthesia or deep sedation with a local anesthetic may be used. In other cases, only a local anesthetic may be administered.
A consultation with Dr. Golla about liposuction in Pittsburgh is the first step to learn how liposuction can benefit you, please call us at 1-888-MD-GOLLA to schedule a consultation today!
SCHEDULE MY APPOINTMENT